- Bollywood Café – address: 3 fl, 2055 Renmin Nanlu; tel. 0755 8222 0370.
One of the top restaurants for international food in Guǎngdōng – definitely the best Indian. The South Indian flavours have kick in the Kedai chicken or flaky naan. A steady flow of Indian families and businessmen to the white-tableclothed tables give a nod to the authenticity.
- Super Steak – address: 2028 Renmin Lu; tel. 0755 8261 1639.
The menu in this sleek fusion spot is a feast for the eyes and palate, with over 400 diverse choices, from pad thai noodles to sashimi to steak.
- Muslim Hotel Restaurant, address: 2013 Wenjing Nanlu; Tel. 0755 8225 9664.
Expect hearty beef and mutton dishes in this halal restaurant run by the Hui (Chinese Muslims). It's in a hotel done up like a mock mosque.
- Laurel – address: Renmin Nanlu; tel. 0755 8232 3668.
An excellent, modern, dim-sum restaurant on the 5th floor of Luóhú Commercial City.
- Phoenix House – address: 4002 Huaqiang Beilu; tel. 0755 8207 6338.
One of the best Cantonese restaurants in town, but expect noisy waits for 30 minutes or more after 11.30am. Some of the dim sum can be ordered by the piece.
- Summer Tea House – address: 7th & 8th fl, Jīntáng Dàxià, 3038 Bao’an Nanlu; tel. 0755 2557 4555.
Tucked away in an office building near Xīhú Bīnguǎn is this vegies’ favourite in Shēnzhèn, with healthy ingredients, a relaxing tea-tasting area and a smoke-free dining hall. There's no English menu, but colourful pictures illustrate the dishes. Vegetarian dim sum is available even for dinner. There are more filling options too, if you’re hungry.
- Yīdùtáng – address: Enping Lu; tel. 0755 8610 6046.
International and local indie bands play almost every night after 10pm at this warehouse-turned-bohemian-haunt in OCT-LOFT. It's a pleasant place with large glass panes, a soaring ceiling (from which chandeliers hang) and velvet armchairs placed next to brick walls. During the day it's an upmarket cafe.